The third annual Temporary Outdoor Gallery Space Ideas Competition (TOGS 3) enhances the global dialogue between art and architecture while offering emerging professionals in the fields of architecture and design the opportunity to garner international attention.
This Ideas Competition generates innovative proposals for a temporary outdoor structure that will function simultaneously as an exhibition space and as an architectural exhibition.
TOGS™ challenges the visual and conceptual boundaries of the outdoor gallery space, transforming the open-air art fair experience into one that showcases the synergy between art and architecture and brings both to the public realm.
The TOGS™ International Ideas Competition generates innovative proposals for a temporary outdoor structure that will function simultaneously as an exhibition space and as an architectural exhibition.
1. Successful TOGS design submissions should push the limits of creativity for exhibiting art. The official sizes for the TOGS are both 10'-0” x 10'-0” x 12'-0 or 10'-0” x 20'-0” x 12'-0. You may select one size for your primary design submission, but your design concept must be readily and easily transformable into both sizes.
2. The TOGS design should function like a gallery. Designers must keep in mind that the TOGS is intended to be portable, temporary and exposed to outdoor elements. TOGS design proposals must, at a minimum, identify a temporary means of installation for the TOGS, and provide illustrations for how the TOGS reinvent the outdoor exhibition space, and how various art mediums can be displayed.
3. The design must address portability and transportation.
4. TOGS design submissions are to illustrate proper accessibility for the public.
5. While not a requirement, TOGS competition submissions are encouraged to incorporate sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions.
6. For the purposes of this competition, the context of the site or any portion of the site is to be utilized. Ultimately, the TOGS can be installed in any location.
Jury Evaluation Criteria
1. Meets program requirements (e.g., portability, transportability, size requirements)
2. Innovation and creativity in design
3. Integration of the TOGS TM into the site Flexibility in presenting various art mediums a.
4. Site plan incorporating TOGS™ proposal into the site or portion of the site.
1. Presentation Board
One (1) Portrait format, 24" x 36" (60cm x 90cm) mounted on board no thicker than 1/2" (13mm). Images will not project more that 1/8" (3mm) from the surface of the board. The entrant's presentation board is to be numbered on the reverse side and front bottom right corner with ONLY the registration number provided. It is recommended that the presentation include some of the following:
a. Site plan incorporating TOGS™ proposal into the site or portion of the site.
b. Conceptual design process.
c. Plans, sections, and perspective views, but the scale of each is left up to the entrants. Additional drawings and text may be included if they will further explain your project.
2. CD-ROM containing PDF files of the board. PDF files will have a minimum resolution of 200 DPI. NOTE: If you submit via local printer, this item #2 is not required.
3. A copy of the written description (in English), 8.5"x11" (size A4) Portrait Format, PDF File. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with your registration number as the subject.